Home About Us What's New Foreign Ministry Spokesperson's Remarks Human Rights Disarmament
  Specialized Agencies Other International Organizations Labor Issues Speeches on International Conferences
Vice Foreign Minister Xie Hangsheng Urgently Summons Felix Ngoma, Charge d'Affaires of the Embassy of the Republic of Congo (Brazzaville) in China
2012/03/06

On March 5, 2012, Vice Foreign Minister Xie Hangsheng urgently summoned charge d'affaires of the Embassy of the Republic of Congo (Brazzaville) in China Felix Ngoma to work on the death and injury of many Chinese citizens in an explosion that took place in an arms depot in the Republic of Congo (Brazzaville).

Xie Hangsheng pointed out that the Chinese government attached great importance to protecting the safety of Chinese citizens abroad, felt great grief over the casualties of Chinese citizens in the incident and would take all possible measures to conduct medical treatment and make proper follow-up arrangements for the Chinese citizens died and injured in the blast. The Chinese working group will get to Congo (Brazzaville) at the earliest possible time. China called for Congo (Brazzaville) to take all necessary measures to actively treat the wounded Chinese, make proper follow-up arrangements for the Chinese nationals who died in the blast, and ensure the safety and security of the Chinese institutions, enterprises and personnel in the Republic of Congo.

Xie said that China and Congo (Brazzaville) have always been friendly. When China suffered major natural disasters in recent years, Congo (Brazzaville) provided valuable assistance to China many times even though it was not in a well-off situation. The Chinese side wishes to express condolence and sympathy to heavy casualties caused by this unfortunate incident in Congo (Brazzaville) and is willing to provide the necessary support and assistance in its power to the Republic of Congo.

Felix Ngoma thanked China for its condolence and said that the Republic of Congo and China are friendly countries and have a tradition of mutual assistance. He said that the Republic of Congo felt sorrow and regret for the casualties on the Chinese side caused by the incident. President Denis Sassou-Nguesso visited the Chinese wounded in the first instance. The Republic of Congo attaches great importance to China's concerns and requests. It would fully cooperate with the Chinese side to conduct medical treatment and make proper follow-up arrangements and take positive measures to strengthen the protection of the safety of the Chinese nationals in the Republic of Congo.

At 8 a.m., March 4, 2009, local time, an ammunition depot exploded in Brazzaville, capital of the Republic of Congo, which affected the neighboring construction site of Beijing Construction Engineering Group. As of the evening of March 5, six Chinese nationals had been confirmed dead and 10 Chinese workers remained hospitalized with their situation being basically stable. The remaining workers had been evacuated to the safety zone. It was reported that the accident had caused over 200 local people dead and over 1,000 people injured.

Suggest To A Friend
  Print